On the Ice

Still in McMurdo, for now…

Mark and I remain in McMurdo for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. On Thursday, our flight to WAIS boomeranged! We left McMurdo around 10 am, but when we reached WAIS, the weather was too poor to land. Our plane circled the camp for about 20 minutes, but eventually the pilots received word from people at the camp that the visibility was too low for our plane to land. We had to turn back and go to McMurdo.

Yesterday, we were again on the schedule to go to WAIS, but our flight was cancelled due to poor weather at WAIS.

This is a common theme for WAIS: poor weather and long delays.

While people worked in McMurdo on Thursday, Thanksgiving day, the town is pretty much closed for business this Saturday and Sunday. (Almost) everyone has these two days off, including the pilots. If there’s good weather at WAIS, we can’t take advantage of it this weekend. At least Mark and I can enjoy the Thanksgiving festivities in town!

We will surely be trying again on Monday. I’ll update you all when I can!

Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Off on Still in McMurdo, for now…

Comments are closed.